Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles
The Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) is a series of vehicles, based on a common chassis, that vary by payload and mission requirements. FMTV vehicles were manufactured by BAE Systems Land and Armaments until 2011 when Oshkosh Corporation began producing the fleet. The FMTV were derived from the Austrian military truck Steyr 12M18. The Light Medium Tactical Vehicle(LMTV) has a 2.5-ton capacity (cargo and van models). The Medium Tactical Vehicle (MTV) has a 5-ton capacity (cargo and long-wheelbase cargo with and without material handling equipment, tractor, van, wrecker, and dump truck models). Three truck variants and two companion trailers, with the same cube and payload capacity as their prime movers, provide air drop capability. M1078s have been deployed to Iraq with armored cabs with roof gun mounts with shields, similar to those fitted on humvees and M113s. Beginning in October 2010, Oshkosh Corporation commenced production on their newly awarded "re-buy" contract. The last truck built under the S023 contract in TX was produced by BAE in June 2011.
The cab-over FMTV replaces the 2.5 ton and 5 ton M35 and M939 series of trucks and performs local and line haul, unit mobility, unit resupply, and other missions in combat, combat support and combat service support units. It is rapidly deployable worldwide and operates on primary and secondary roads, trails, and cross-country terrain, in all climatic conditions. Commonality of parts across truck chassis variants significantly reduces the logistics burden and operating and support costs. New vehicle applications are being developed to meet new requirements.
The FMTV A1 series includes a 1999 Environmental Protection Agency–certified engine, upgraded transmission, electronic data bus, an anti-lock brake system and interactive electronic technical manuals.
The FMTV shares its drivetrain with the Caiman MRAP vehicle. All vehicles are equipped with the Central Tire Inflation System.
The FMTV are being supplemented with the improved Long-Term Armor Strategy (LTAS) type version.
- M1078 standard cargo truck
- M1079 shop van configuration
- M1081 standard cargo LVAD, 2.5 ton capacity, air-droppable
- M1083 standard cargo truck, 5 ton payload
- M1084 standard cargo truck, 5 ton payload, with materiel handling equipment
- M1085 Long Wheel Base (LWB) truck (extended cargo bed)
- M1086 Long Wheel Base (LWB) truck with materiel handling equipment
- M1087 Expandable Van
- M1088 tractor truck
- M1089 wrecker
- M1090 dump truck
- XM1091 fuel/water tanker, 1500 gallons
- M1093 Standard Cargo Truck, LVAD, 5 ton capacity, air-droppable
- M1094 dump truck, LVAD, air-droppable
- XM140 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System
- War Pig Special Operations forces supply vehicle
- M1082 LMTV Trailer, single axle, 5000 lb payload
- M1095 MTV Trailer, dual axle, 10,000 lb payload
The information contained on this page is unclassified, approved for public dissemination and is released under CC-BY-SA Licensing Agreement.