Figuring Your PCS Travel Expenses

Reimbursable Travel Expenses for PCS and OCONUS Travel

Travel and transportation expenses for PCS moves may be reimbursed if it is incurred during the allotted travel days en route from your former duty station to your new one.  An exception being if the travel lasts a total of 12 hours or less the expenses may not be eligible for reimbursement.  Travel expenses are paid in the form of per diem according to the current per diem rates which can be found at­­.  The per diem includes lodging allowance and meal and incidentals allowance.  When considering lodging allowance, it cannot exceed the actual lodging cost up to the maximum amount and if lodging is provided by family or friends it is not eligible for reimbursement.  Receipts for lodging will need to be submitted for reimbursement.  The amount given for meal and incidentals is a fixed rate and receipts do not need to be provided. 

Transportation expenses for the servicemember and dependents are paid in the form of mileage allowance for those using a privately owned vehicle following a direct route.  Any indirect mileage for personal reasons will not be

compensated. When using commercial transportation, the cost of that transportation along with a reasonable reimbursement amount for taxis to and from the terminals will be paid.  The following site will provide you with the current mileage allowances. 


When determining compensation for travel allowances, dependents are defined as the following:

  • Children of the employee or the employee’s spouse who are unmarried and under the age of 21
  • Children of the employee or the employee’s spouse who are unmarried and who regardless of age are physically or mentally incapable of self support
  • Any illegitimate child, stepchild or adopted child or any grandchild of the employee or the employee’s spouse who satisfies the above criteria
  • Any legal ward who satisfies the above criteria.  Legal ward being defined as an unmarried person who has been placed in the custody of the employee or the employee’s spouse by a court of competent jurisdiction either permanently or for a period which lasts at least 12 months from the date of order, and is dependent upon the employee or the employee’s spouse for over one-half of the person’s support, and resides with the employee or the employee’s spouse.
  • Any dependent child who is under a legal guardianship of the employee or the employee’s spouse and who also satisfies the above criteria.  Guardian being defined as an individual who is given the authority by a court of competent jurisdiction to take care of the person, property, and rights of another person.  In this case, the person is a dependent child. 
  • Any child born after the employee’s effective date of transfer when travel of the expectant spouse is prevented at the time of transfer because of the advanced stage of pregnancy or other reasons acceptable to the agency.

Filing an En Route Travel Voucher

To receive reimbursement for en route travel you must complete and submit a DD Form 1351-2, along with other essential documents, within five business days of completion of the travel.  These documents can be either mailed, faxed or emailed.

Mail to:           DFAS ROME

                        Attn: Travel Pay, Civilian Relocation

                        325 Brooks Rd

                        Rome, NY 13441

Fax:                (216) 367-3422


Please note that fax confirmations are not proof the fax was received.  If sent by email you should receive a confirmation email within 24-48 hours after the claim is submitted. 

The following is a list of documents that must be submitted to receive reimbursement for your travel: 

Voucher Submission:

  • DD Form 1351-2: Be sure to include appropriate signatures and dates.
  • DD Form 1614, Travel Authorization, including any amendments.
  • Itemized lodging receipts (claim lodging separately from lodging taxes). Provide single lodging rates.
  • Indicate if dependent(s) travel was concurrent or delayed and if more than two POCs are authorized and used.
  • Annotate advances received in block 9 on the DD Form 1351-2 or provide advance payment paperwork.
  • Provide a detailed itinerary in block 15 showing daily travel, cities and states where lodging was obtained.
  • Mark blocks 16 and 17 on the DD Form 1351-2 as appropriate.
  • DD Form 2762- Direct Deposit Authorization or complete EFT information.

If you need more detailed instructions as to how to fill out the DD Form 1351-2 refer to the following website for a step by step breakdown of the form.